Thursday, February 5, 2009

Acer Aspire & Thinkpad T43

Okay, the problem with the Acer Aspire is an easy one but as with all the other DC power jack repairs I've done it's very time consuming and attention to detail is very necessary so that no screws are left behind.

The other computer on the other hand has been a little more interesting. It's an IBM Thinkpad T43. I'm pretty sure I talked about it in a previous posting. Aside from the LCD issue and the dead bios battery the software has been a little challenging. For one, defragment(which I strongly recommend!) was not able to run. The fix for this time was easy. I ran a checkdisk on each of the two hard drives and rebooted the computer so the checkdisk could be thorough. After rebooting defragmentation was now allowed and all was well with the world. On top of that there were a lot of problems with background programs starting up and good ol' CCleaner(www.ccleaner.com) came to the rescue again. Many, many Window updates later the laptop was zipping along nicely and booted up pretty quick too.

Now I know this is a laptop blog but I've got an interesting case for a desktop issue this weekend that a friend referred me to. The problem was this; a newly built computer was having trouble when turning the computer on. One symptom of the the problem was that it would take successive pushes of the power button to turn the computer on. More than likely what is happening is that the power supply, while rated @ 650 watts, can't handle the startup of all the devices in the system. It may be able to supply 650 watts when up and running but not from a cold boot. The solution, research, research, research. Don't buy a $300 motherboard, $250 processor and then buy a $20 power supply. Anyway, that's my desktop helping for you, I'll try to keep those to a minimum.



BRM Laptop Repair
3171 N. High St.
Columbus, OH 43202

www.BRMLaptopRepair.com
laptop.repair@gmx.com
614-313-9901

No comments:

Post a Comment